Divorcing a Narcissist: 10 Things No One Understands
If you’re divorcing someone with narcissistic traits, you probably feel like you’re in the Twilight Zone (or worse). So many aspects of the personality type and behavior patterns are completely unbelievable until you’ve experienced it.
No wonder you doubt yourself and your sanity. It's frustrating and isolating.
You're NOT crazy. If you’ve tried to explain it, and were dismissed, laughed-at, gaslighted or belittled by family members and people you thought were your friends…you’re not alone.
(Don’t even bother trying to explain it to the narcissist. That always backfires!)
🚩 10 Things No One Gets about Divorcing a Narcissist…Until They’ve Done It Themselves
1. Why you married them and stayed with them in the first place – why you didn’t see it
2. That the process of narcissistic control is slow, calculated, and insidious, and the abuse is not obvious
3. How someone so wonderful, charming, and outwardly successful could really be so deceptive, dishonest, and destructive
4. Narcissists don’t want to change, therefore, they can’t and won’t. They believe the lies they’ve concocted.
5. Why you can’t pull yourself together and move on like “normal” people do
6. The extreme emotional drain and pain that your marriage has/had on you
7. The level of manipulation that you’ve experienced (without even knowing what was
happening) …I mean, you’re smart, capable, and fun, right? This can’t be true…it must be you that’s a crazy, manipulative, control-freak [insert sarcasm]
8. Narcissists cannot be reasoned with or see another point of view
9. The effects of your experience with narcissism don’t just “go away” …even with therapy
10. Why you feel guilt, shame, and doubt if you didn’t do anything wrong – why you think YOU might be the narcissist, or you might be crazy. Can you relate? The only way out of this trap is to: ♥️ Preserve your peace and your emotional energy ♥️ STOP explaining yourself ♥️ Surround yourself with people who understand and who know how real the struggle is
CLICK HERE to read The BEST Way to Deal with Narcs
I work with women (and a few men) every single day who are healing from the abuse of a toxic marriage. I understand what you’re going through because I’ve walked the same path you’re on right now. If you’re ready to tell your story in a safe place with someone who “gets” you, let’s talk. Schedule a Divorce Coaching Intro Session (free) using the button above.
By Rebecca Wolf
Divorce Recovery Coach
Certified Life Coach
Founder of Her Divorce Project.