5 Steps: Moving On After Divorce
Updated: Oct 17
How do I forget about my ex and move on?
This is the #1 question I’m asked as a divorce recovery coach. It’s a simple question. The answer is simple, too…it’s just not easy.
Here's how (remember that this is simple...but not easy)
1. Allow yourself time and space to grieve…a divorce is a tremendous loss…be patient with yourself. You can’t go around it, you have to go through it. (Click here for a great read about Divorce Grief)
2. Choose to be grateful and look for silver linings. Gratitude is more manageable than trying to choose to be happy. Since you can’t change the situation, the only thing you can change is your mind.
3. Accept the end of your marriage…it has happened…you can't change it or fix it…accept that you may never get an apology, and you may never know why it ended. Have patience with yourself and the process of acceptance.
4. Reconnect with yourself and keep a routine. (Click here for info about self care during divorce) Focus your energy on yourself and on the positive relationships and aspects in your life.
5. Love yourself the way you wanted your ex to love you. Create positive experiences for yourself (fix a cup of hot tea, have snuggly play-time with a pet, take a long shower, read a new novel, take a hike, watch an old favorite movie, etc) (Best Self-Love advice - click here)
If you're struggling to manage a divorce, and don't want to do it ALONE anymore, I invite you to apply for a (free) Divorce Coaching Intro Session..click below for a schedule.
By Rebecca Wolf
Divorce Recovery Coach
Certified Life Coach
Founder of Her Divorce Project